Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Group B Strep...yep you heard me

We had a doctor appointment this morning and got to meet Pauline, another one of the midwives in the practice, since Ann was going to be out of town during our regular Friday appointments.  She opened my chart and asked if we had talked to Ann yet about being positive for Group B Strep.  I said, "I'm sorry, what??"  I told her that Ann's medical tech had called me and said I was negative.  I was so excited to have tested negative and this news changes everything for us.  It was very obvious as Pauline showed us the three places it was written in the chart.  So, rather than be able to labor at home as long as possible, I now have to go to the hospital right away if my water breaks and pretty quick if I go into labor without my water breaking.  They want to be able to administer two rounds of antibiotics within 4 hours of delivery.  So Pauline said I need to have at least a four and a half hour labor...gotcha!!  We will have to stay in the hospital for 48 hours for monitoring of both me and the baby which is fine but I'm still upset about being positive for GBS.  And I'm really angry at the tech.  How do you get that wrong?  I wonder if she told someone else they were positive when they weren't.  I plan on talking to Ann about it at our visit next Friday.  This isn't the first time I've been less than impressed with this tech and this was the final straw.  Sorry but it's medical, not for fun.

10/20/10 Baby Doctor Appointment Stats
*Total weight gain to date: 24 pounds
*Blood Pressure: 116/60
*Fundal Height: 35 cm
*Fetal Heart rate: 135 bmp
* I lost 1 pound but it's common for weight gain to taper off

1 comment:

  1. Aww that stinks that they got your results wrong the first time. You don't play with a pregnant woman's emotions like that!! As you know, I was GBS positive. I just want you to know it is not near as scary as it sounds. It didn't affect my labor process near as much as I had imagined. One good thing is you will get admitted really quickly...hardly any waiting in triage! Secondly, I was super happy to spend extra time in the hospital. Its the one situation where staying another day is a relief! Extra care for you (which equals extra rest) and more time to practice breastfeeding with help available. I barely even remember them giving me the medication. Fingers crossed that you will labor as long as possible without your water breaking!! But if it breaks before you even feel a handful of contractions like I did, do not worry...everything will be just fine!!

    ReplyDelete