Tuesday, February 15, 2011

A Mother's Love

I don't even know where to begin in thanking my mom for her support the past year. She was there for me when I felt like everyone was getting pregnant except me and at a time I felt very alone. She was so excited to find out we were expecting. She is now overwhelmed with love for my son. She is the best mother a new mother could ask for.

This time last year, I had just found out for the 5th month in a row that we once again weren't pregnant. It seemed like everyone around me was sharing their good news and I felt more and more depressed each month. My mom was always positive and was there for me when I needed a shoulder to cry on. I'll never forget the day we shared our exciting news with her and my Nana. She thought I was joking and didn't think it was very funny! She was so excited once she realized this was it. She made me crackers with laughing cow cheese and put a tiny rubber ducky in the middle of the plate.  It was so cute.



At certain points during my pregnancy, I think she was even more excited than I was. She manages a property in OKC and was able to come visit me often. It was so much fun once the baby started kicking and she could see my belly getting bigger every time she visited. After my baby showers, she helped me get the nursery setup. We did tons of laundry and spent a lot of time in Babies’R’Us and Target! At the end of my pregnancy, I could feel her excitement and every time I called she thought I was calling to tell her I was in labor! Finally, on November 10th, she got her wish. I called her at 1:30 in the morning and told her not to get on the road just yet because I wasn't sure that this was it (but who was I kidding as I had 6 contractions on the way to the hospital with her on the phone...she's a good labor coach too!). She definitely didn't listen and headed our way the second we got off the phone. With my brother and Nana in tow, they scurried down the turnpike and made it to the hospital a mere 20 minutes after our sweet baby boy was born. It couldn't have been more perfect. She looked so happy to see her precious grandson. And so started a grandmother’s unconditional love for her new grandbaby.


My biggest thanks to her comes now. In the three short months we have had Jackson home, I have learned so much from her about being a mother. I don’t think I would be the mother I am had she not been there to help me out those first few weeks. She always has good advice and suggestions and helps me to eat well. The first few weeks home were really hard on me since I wanted Chris to sleep at night because he had to go to work.  Several times, my mom stayed up with me until the baby went back to sleep or she would just take him and let me go back to bed.  I got a lot more sleep than I would have had she not been here.  She also stocked me up on the things we waited to buy until we knew size and gender.  There are so many small things she has done the last 3 months that made a huge difference to Jackson and me.


I am having a hard time writing this post because how I feel about my mom and her unconditional love is difficult to put into words.  It's just one of those feelings you have; like the love I have for my son is so great and I can tell you that, but you'll never understand exactly what it feels like inside.

Mom, I love you very much and thank you for everything you have ever done for me. I don't know who or where I would be if not for your love and support the last 28 years. I so look forward to many years of spending special moments together and I hope to share the same kind of love with my children and grandchildren.  You have taught me well.

No comments:

Post a Comment