Saturday, September 10, 2011

Summer 2011 {Six to Nine Months}

SO much has happened this summer and thinking about catching up on my blog gives me a headache. Where do I start? How much do I write? How do I get it all in without my head exploding?? I've decided I'm going to go through my calendar and highlight the most important milestones and events and try to upload a ton of photos. A picture is worth a thousand words right??! I think this will be better than trying to write 20 posts to cover everything. Enjoy our summer happenings! This covers almost everything from May 10th through September 9th.
~ ~ ~
So here we go...we'll start with May (6 months). He really grew up in those 4 short weeks. Not only did he have his first meal on his 6 month birthday {5.10.11} but he also started crawling on the 12th. Holy cow! My 6 month old son was crawling. How lucky am I ! I really am proud of him, I just wish he would have waited a couple more months! At his 6 month checkup, he weighed 17 lbs, 1 oz and was 25 7/8 inches. Dr Moore also told us that because he was crawling at 6 months, Jackson would be walking by 9. Um, come again, 9 months??! I knew it was probably true but chose to not believe him. ;) On the 14th, we went to Kaly's 4th birthday party at Star Gymnastics in Norman. Jackson got to show everyone how good he was at crawling around on the gym mats. He's becoming very mobile, very fast. On the morning of the 17th, he was sitting up in bed waiting for me to come get him! It almost startled me to find him that way. We lowered the crib to the lowest setting that night. Boy was that going to take some time to get used to. It was so easy to lay him in his crib and now there's a 22 inch drop!! We went to Tulsa the following weekend so Chris and I could go on a motorcycle ride with Jared and some friends from Green Country Cycle City. That weekend, I was holding Jackson on my hip like I normally do and he laid his head on my shoulder. It was the sweetest thing and I felt so loved by my little boy. The following Monday, he pulled himself up to a standing position all by himself. He was very proud every time he did it and would beam a big smile all around the room. Oma (my grandmother) and Great Aunt Jan came to visit on the 26th. We had a great time playing in the living room and running to City Bites for lunch. We can't wait until they come back to play again. We took Jackson on his first trip to the lake for Memorial Day weekend. It was cold, the water was 15' above normal and it was super windy so we weren't able to get out on the lake. No boat ride for Jackson. We still had a good time with the family and Ryan, Toni and Dylan came up to hang out and go swimming in the pool. That was cold too but we all toughed it out and the babies ended up enjoying it. This was the longest weekend away and I was definitely glad to get home. I needed a vacation from my vacation! The first weekend in June, we went to cousins Sandhya and Kaly's dance recital. Jackson did ok. I did have to take him out once but I can't complain, he did really well. Not much went on that first week in June but I guess Jackson was honing his skills because on the 6th he was standing in his crib waiting for me! That really startled me!! And by this time, his hair finally seemed like it had really started to grow in. Poor kid has been bald for long enough! I didn't focus too much on food in May so by the beginning of June, I started to get serious. Jackson's first real food (not rice cereal) was apples. He loved them! A few days later, we tried Pears...another big hit! And a few days after that, we did Sweet Potatoes. At the time, I think those were his favorite. So there's May (and the first 10 days in June).
May {PhotoBlog}
~ ~ ~

Jackson turned 7 months old on June 10th. He weighed 17 lbs, 13 oz. We didn't have a doctor’s appointment that month so I don't know how long he was; we dropped the ball and forgot to measure ourselves. That day we got to visit the OKC Zoo with Julie, Bryson and Ryder. It was so fun to hang out with Julie and for her to see Jackson since I get to see Ryder twice a week now. The next day, we went to Dylan's First Birthday Party. Toni did an awesome job decorating and it was so fun to see everyone and Jackson enjoyed crawling all over the place. On Tuesday the 14th, Jackson tried Spaghetti Squash for the first time. He really liked it; I was kind of surprised. The next day he really started making some bababa sounds. I was so excited to hear his "talking" voice and I knew his personality was really going to come out in the weeks following. That weekend, we went back to Tulsa (again) for Jeremey and Amber's wedding. The ceremony was in Aunt Janice's backyard and it was so sweet and intimate. Jackson started walking around coffee tables that weekend. I'm in for it now! The 19th was Chris' first Father's Day. Jackson and I got him a webcam so he could Skype with us from work. We ate at Cracker Barrel and Jackson tried carrots for the first time. Of course he LOVED them because they were no doubt covered in butter and sugar! Oh well, a couple won't hurt right??! The following week, he really started to get the hang of standing while holding on to someone or something. We had special visitors on the 25th when Tommy, Jessi and Collin came to play for the afternoon. Collin wasn't so sure of us!! Graham came to visit on the 28th and Jackson started to get very vocal that day. He also tried Peaches for the first time. Yumm!! The next weekend was 4th of July and we went back to the lake. Jackson had a bit of a cold going into the trip but seemed ok by the end. He hasn't been very sick so far; two or three little colds. We feel very fortunate. Jackson got to see his first fireworks show on the 2nd and took his first boat ride on the 3rd. He did surprising well at the show but I took him back to the condo before it was over because he was tired. On the other hand, he was not a big fan of the boat ride; it probably had more to do with having to wear the life jacket than anything. I ended up nursing him most of the ride to keep him settled. He also got to try banana for the first time on the 3rd. I cut up little chunks and let him feed himself. He wasn't so good at it! I thought he'd be a pro since everything else in the world that he picks up goes straight to his mouth. Apparently not food though! We'll get there. On the 4th, he showed us that he could climb up stairs. This boy is crazy! I decided I needed to get something he could feed himself with so I found some gluten free Rice Rusks called MumMums. Those things turn into glue...mess free says the box, yeah right! He seemed to do okay with them. I was laughing at how he was holding them though; he has a lot to work on to get this whole feeding thing. The next weekend, I found some gluten free puffs by Plum Baby Organics. He loved them and they allow him to start working on his pincher grasp. He also climbed on our suitcase at Graham's house... foreshadowing perhaps?? Wow, what a month! There was lots of travel and Jackson had quite a few developmental milestones. Tell this boy to stop growing up!
June {PhotoBlog}
~ ~ ~
On Jackson's 8 month birthday {7.10.10} we went to the aquarium with Tommy, Jessi & Collin and Dave, Kylie & Aisley. Jackson wasn't too impressed with his surroundings but seemed to have a good time none-the-less. After, we went to have ice cream for Aisley's 2nd birthday. It's amazing how fast these kids grow up. Apparently nothing much went on that following week...my calendar is completely blank! On the 18th, Jackson tried Zucchini and really liked it. He's is surprising me so far liking everything that I'm giving him. By this time, every night I started trying to give him a yellow, a green and an orange. He's a really good eater. On Thursday, Auntie Na and I took him to the spray ground. I wasn't very impressed with the facilities and Jackson didn't have as much fun as I thought he'd have. Oh well, the pictures are really cute. On the 24th, he rediscovered his mouth again and started making some really funny noises. I wish I would have taken some video. On the 25th, Jackson tried Carrots and I would have to say those were his favorite thus far. On a side note, my friend Kari had her baby that evening {Acie Thomas Hoffman 10lbs 21.5in...congrats Robert and Kari!} We got to meet little (well, little compared to my 18 pound 8 month old) Acie on Tuesday then spent the rest of the afternoon with Tonya and the girls. We went to the pool and then to dinner. July 27th was a BIG day! Julie had come to pick up Ryder and we were sitting in the living room chatting while the babies crawled between us and all of a sudden Jackson pulled up on the couch, turned toward me and took 2 steps! We couldn't believe it. Maybe that crazy doctor was right...walking by 9 months. The next day was a big day too. Jackson stood with no help for quite a few seconds, tried Avocado (seemed to like them but wasn't quite convinced), drank from a water fountain for the first time AND welcomed his new cousin Indira Faith Gollahalli to the family. She was born at 8:51pm and was 7lbs 8oz and 20 inches. She was a pound and a half bigger than Jackson! We went to the hospital that night and Jackson got to stay up WAY past his bed time. We enjoyed being able to visit baby Indira only hours after she was born. And I swear that night, Jackson grew an inch in his sleep. When I got him out of bed Friday morning, it felt like he was much bigger than when I had put him to bed the night before. How does that happen! That day was Grandpa Sparkman's birthday and the whole family went to Charleston's for dinner. Then Saturday was Sandhya's 7th birthday party at Be Wild for Art in Norman. Jackson "helped" me paint an inchworm for his room. It turned out SO cute after it was fired in the kiln. That evening, Jackson took a step towards Uncle Ro. We all hurray'd and he was so proud! Over that weekend, he also had a bit of a runny nose and I should have known...he got his first tooth on August 3rd! It was his bottom left incisor and while I am so excited a finally got a tooth, I will dearly miss his gummy smile. It got you every time. I suppose he'll be just as cute with a tooth than without! That first tooth was rough for sure. Graham was in town and she took this night shift...poor sweet Graham. Jackson woke up at 11:30 so she went in to coax him back to sleep...no such luck. She tried everything to calm him down. Bottle, toys, rocking, walking, everything. I finally gave up on sleep around 2 or so and brought him to bed with me. He nursed and slept for the rest of the night. The next day, we discovered his tooth had broken through. Poor guy. Luckily the next tooth he got wasn't so bad.  On the 6th, he took LOTS of steps...we're getting closer to walking every day. What a month!
July {PhotoBlog}
~ ~ ~

Jackson turned 9 months on August 10th. I can't believe it. 9 months. This has been the most exciting, scary, emotional, rewarding, frightening, educational, fulfilling...need I go on...18 months of our lives. It's hard to believe that 18 months ago I found out I was pregnant. That really goes to show you how fast time flies. 18 months from now, we'll hopefully be about to expect baby #2 so that's really crazy. Anyway, back to Jackson! On the 13th, we were at Grandma and Grandpa Sparkman's and Jackson stood up from a sitting position all by himself. I was so excited and the Grandparent's were excited they got to see him do something for the first time. Not many people get to do that but us. That evening, we went to Avery's 4th birthday party. Jackson had fun pushing Avery's baby stroller and playing with Avery's toys and everyone liked seeing him take some steps. By this time, he was getting pretty good at taking a few steps at a time. Not quite walking but definitely figuring it out. That same weekend, he started sleeping through the night. I just figured it would only last while we were in Tulsa because I mom was on night duty but when we got home, he continued to sleep from about 9-5 then from 530-8 or so. How wonderful! Or so I thought. I was actually more tired than I had ever been because I was getting more sleep...go figure. On the 19th, Jackson had his 9 month appointment and he weighed 19lbs and was 27.5 inches. Still short and chubby! On the 20th, he was walking like crazy AND his second tooth popped through...the bottom right incisor. Now he has two little teeth. It's pretty cute (but I do miss his gummy smile; glad I took tons of pictures of that). So we officially have a toddler; no more baby boy, now it's big toddler boy. On the 21st, he took his first "big boy" bath. He really liked the freedom he had. On the 22nd he started trying to clap and quickly mastered it and now he claps at everything. We took daddy to the zoo on the 23rd. It was h.o.t. but we had a good time showing him the elephants and Jackson got to go on his first carousel ride. He liked it ok but was pretty indifferent towards the end. Maybe next time he will have more fun. On the 25th he waved at daddy but hasn't really mastered this one. He can clap on command but not wave. On the 26th, he stood up all by himself and walked away. My boy is growing up SO fast. He also played Peek-a-boo on his own. I was doing the dishes and he pulled the handkerchief Sandhya brought him over his head and when I said 'where's Jackson?' he yanked it off and laughed. We did this several times and then he was disinterested once I broke out the video camera...of course! I know I'm biased, but I think he's the smartest baby on the planet! I'm not sure when this is "supposed" to happen developmentally but he can take the tambourine off the music pole and put it back on. Is that impressive or am I just being a mom??! On the 29th Jackson had surgery to correct his hypospadias. In the end, it turned out to be a circumcision and he needed one stitch to correct a downward angle. I was scared beyond belief and I will never forget the feeling of leaving him on that operating table. So tiny and helpless. I knew he was in good hands. Everyone we came into contact with at OU Children's was amazing. We got there at 6 and were back on the road home by 10. Easy peazy. Jackson was supposed to take it easy for the rest of the day but who were they kidding! He was walking around playing all day like nothing had happened. I was relieved he was in such a good mood. We really didn't have to give him much Motrin so that made me very happy. Up to this point, he had never had one drop of anything other than his normal vaccinations and some Hyland's teething gel. He's a champ. It was much harder on me than it was on him for sure. The last two weeks, we have started to let Jackson out of his "pen". He has the most incredible play pen...we have a sectional so we barricade the two entrances to the living room and he has tons of room to play. But now that he knows what's beyond the walls, he wants out! It's been so fun watching him toddle all over the place and find household items to play with. He is very intrigued by everything, it's so fun to watch his face light up when he picks up something new. We took him to the little playground in our neighborhood on the 9th. It was so nice to get out of the house. We were cooped up all winter because it was freezing and now we've been cooped up all summer because it's hot as blazes out there. Jackson likes the swing at the lake so I figured he would have a good time but we had to convince him a little. We each took him down the slide too. Maybe he doesn't do well in the heat or something. It wasn't too bad at all but he's just not used to it; he like the A/C! On the 8th, while I was changing a diaper, I handed him his brush and he automatically started to brush his hair. What a big boy! The next day, he got to hang out with Graham for a while so Chris and I could help Robert and Anna move (they are a street over from us now...SO exciting!!). And with that, we say goodbye to Jackson's 9th month!
August {PhotoBlog}
~ ~ ~
   
So that does it...I'm caught up! Thanks for bearing with me/reading our story of the summer. This baby amazes me every day. He makes me laugh constantly, he makes me cry (because I love him so much or because he's wacked me with a toy!), he makes me feel love like I've never felt before. I almost crumble when he throws his arms around me and gives me a giant squeeze. I don't think he realizes how powerful those hugs are...maybe someday soon he will. He is SO smart and adventurous. I can see the wheels turning constantly. It amazes me how many words he understands too. He is always on the move; even if he's exhausted and whining at me, he's moving! And he is very independent...except when he's being a momma's boy (he definitely loves his momma). And I love him. He is just so sweet. I can't believe he is growing up so fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment