Tuesday, May 31, 2011

My Favorite Things (said in true Oprah style!)

Not to say I'm the go to mom for baby stuff nor do I think there's nothing superior to what I have, but of my vast collection of baby stuff I've found a few things I couldn't live without and most certainly recommend to all my mommy friends and mommies-to-be.


First, don't keep 90% of the blankets you get from your showers (and boy don't you get a *ton* of blankets!). Any blanket rectangular in shape is worthless once the baby gets bigger. They are great to have around, but maybe 3-5 is all you need. Keep square blankets if you plan to swaddle; and for us, swaddling worked wonders. My favorite blanket was given to me by my mom. It's a Swaddle Designs Organic Ultimate Receiving Blanket. Expensive, yes they are pricey, but having 2 of these was all I needed. I loved that they were plain with colored trim so I could take them anywhere without clashing. Really anything from this company is amazing. A friend of mine has tons of Swaddle Designs blankets and they hold up so well.

Another must have are cloth diapers specifically to be used as burp rags. My mom went out and bought these for me and I had no clue how much I would use them. I ended up buying another package. I suppose if you were fortunate enough to have a baby that never spit up, then you would have no use for these. For me, they were a life saver. They are also great for drool. Jackson finally quit spitting up around 6 months but his drool is out of this world! Along the same lines, don't keep any bibs that aren't waterproof. They are worthless; spit up and drool soak through to whatever baby is wearing. I kept a few cute ones (first Thanksgiving, first Christmas and the like) but other than that, I've cleaned out the bib drawer! Carter's has awesome teething bibs that are waterproof. They have saved me from multiple outfit changes for sure. A definite must have.

When I started my registry, I chose the Bright Starts Ingenuity Bouncer and Bright Starts Ingenuity Swing as recommended by Ryan, Toni and Dylan. I can't give these two products enough praise. Jackson used the bouncer a ton in the beginning so I could shower and do some chores while he was awake. And the swing can swing back and forth and side to side. I really liked that feature. The music grew on me and will always remind me of those first few months when Jackson was so tiny.

Another product I can't praise enough is the Rainforest Melodies & Lights Playgym. It is an Award Winner and I can see why. Jackson loved the lights and music that played. In the beginning, he would kick his feet and hit the elephant. He would get so excited at the sound he would kick even harder. It was fun to see his development with this toy as he got older.

I got mixed reviews from other moms regarding diaper disposal. I had some say Diaper Genies were worthless and some that said they were fantastic. I am on the fantastic side of the line! I LOVE my Diaper Genie II Elite and can't imagine not having one. Chris chose this one over the Munchkin A&H Diaper Pail on a whim and I'm so glad he did. Apparently the A&H pail has pre-cut bags so it's one size fits all. There have been many times that a diaper is so stinky, I can take out a few diapers at a time without having to waste an entire bag (this is my understanding of the A&H...correct me if I'm wrong).

Chris took over researching Play Yards/Pack 'n Plays and settled on the Lullaby LX Play Yard from Chicco (key-ko...if it doesn't make you laugh, you're saying it wrong!). It's like most play yards but had the best ratings and reviews. I love the music it plays and it also can vibrate the mattress which I used a lot in the beginning. I used the bassinet portion and changing table until Jackson was 3 months old and we moved him to his room. Now it's been moved to the living room to be used as a play pen. Jackson seems to like spending time playing in it so that's a plus. And it doesn't look tacky like some of the patterns out there!!

We also chose the Chicco Cortina KeyFit 30 Travel System. I love the KeyFit feature. It makes it so easy to get in and out of the car. I can't imagine doing it any other way. This car seat will hold Jackson until he is 30 pounds so we still have some time left on it. The stroller is great too. We have enjoyed using it during our multiple trips to the zoo and mall. I am still on the hunt for a light weight stroller. Maybe I should try a JBF sale for that. Any suggestions?

I'm not a big reader but I made it a point to do some reading during my pregnancy. My most favorite book was Happiest Baby on the Block. It was an easy read and all the advice given was very helpful. I need to read Happiest Toddler on the Block now! I also read a bunch of books explaining what was going on during each week and those were very informative. Now that Jackson is here, I started skimming through Dr. Sears' Baby Book and Discipline Book as well as Bright from the Start by Jill Stamm, Ph.D. given to us by my dad. I think it's important to read a variety of books regarding different ways to raise a child then pick and choose what works best for you, your family and your baby. No one way is the right way.

I love documentaries about pregnancy and I am a huge advocate of natural childbirth (which has sadly gotten me into trouble more than once; it seems in this world, it is better to keep your opinions to yourself...tough lesson to learn when you are so passionate about something). I recommend Business of Being Born (can't wait for BBB2 coming 11.8.11) and Pregnant in America. Even if someone isn't planning on natural childbirth, I think it is so important to be able to make informed choices during your pregnancy and labor & delivery by educating yourself with terminology and best practices. To have an understanding of what is going on around you can make you more relaxed and that goes a long way in the delivery room. I also recommend the Bradley Method whether one is considering natural childbirth or not. It teaches relaxation methods which is useful for anyone no matter the situation.

On the Web
{babysteals.com} This website has 2 "steals" everyday. They have a huge range of products. They sell baby clothes, toys, diaper bags, maternity and nursing clothes/accessories, etc. I got my Ergo for 50% off and ton of clothes and accessories for Jackson. You have to be quick though, some things can sell out within seconds.
{leakyboob.com} This blog is all about breastfeeding. They also have a private forum where you can join in on conversations and ask questions. And they are on Facebook, which I like the most. You can post questions and help other leakies out all around the world. And with 30,000 members, there is always someone online to help. I have used this resources many times now.
{kellymom.com} This is your ultimate resource for breastfeeding. Any question you may have regarding the topic will be on here and if it's not, they can send in the right direction. This was especially useful in the beginning since I had no clue what I was doing!!

A few of Jackson's Favorite Toys
Sassy Look Book
B&W Ring on the Ring 'o Links
Chuck the Truck and Friends
Cow Rattle

No comments:

Post a Comment