Friday, March 26, 2010

Our First Appointment!

Our first appointment was today at 10:30. I was so nervous! I think I was shaking from the second I woke up until I got there. The nurse took my vitals and then got out the infamous OB wheel to determine the due date. She said 11/12..only one day off so we're sticking with 11/11!! Everyone agrees with me, so I don't feel so silly about it! Then we chatted with my Midwife for a while about nutrition, questions we had, and what a Midwife is all about...support! They will be there throughout the entire labor and delivery; they make sure that we have whatever we need according to our birth plan. OU Medical has fantastic birthing suites and all she asks, is that we change positions frequently and move around a lot during labor rather than laying in bed the whole time. They also have hydro tubs in every suite if we choose to do hydro therapy…that sounds yummy! We also found out that she is retiring and probably won't be there for the delivery. I am very sad. I like her so much. There are 4 other midwifes in the practice so we will talk about who we want later on. Then she brought in the ultrasound machine (yay!) and I was so excited. I wanted one so bad and had read that sometimes they don't do one on the first visit, especially at only 7 weeks. Slowly, the image came into view, and low and behold, there was the baby and the little heartbeat! Our baby has a heartbeat! I couldn't believe it. It made it so real...finally! Like the 18 pregnancy tests didn't confirm enough! The heartbeat was a little flicker...back and forth, black then white. She went to click print and it wouldn't work...no way!!!! I wanted so badly to leave this appointment with my baby's first picture, how could this be happening! Well, it wasn't plugged in...Okay, thank goodness I thought, easy fix! Not so much…after she plugged in the printer, it STILL would not work! So she said, do you have a camera on your phone (And let me just say, Andria asked if I had brought my camera and I said of course not..why would I bring my camera to an exam!! Yeah, well, I should have!). So we got my phone out and it wouldn't take a picture because the memory was full...ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!! So there I was, trying to delete a bunch of pictures (like 17 of them!) and it still wouldn't take it, so I deleted an app I never use and finally (!) we could take the picture. I have to say, I'm rather impressed that it worked so well, maybe because it's black and white, I don't know, but go iPhone! So Chris took the picture and she tried to get a better shot, but I guess my insides weren't cooperating! Needless to say, it was a very interesting visit. But, I got what I needed...visual proof that miracles do exist!


After my exam, I had to have my blood drawn...we waited forever! I finally got to go back and the phlebotomist was so sweet. He said he had over 20 years experience so I was in good hands. He laughed like Seth Rogen so that made me laugh and relax a little. I sat down and watched as he started getting the vials he needed...first there was one, okay, I can handle this, then there were 3, yikes, then there were 5...holy poo, then there was one more and I thought he was done and he recounted and looked at the list, and grabbed one more...so, 7 vials!!! How will I have any blood left! He got started and it stung for just a second. I didn't watch, but I could feel and hear him switch the vials, it took less than a minute to fill 7 of them. Guess my heart is working well! I told him he was an angel and that he had made my day. He was so sweet, it definitely made a difference.

I got home from work around 5:30 and we decided to go to the mall...we had something on hold from Pottery Barn kids. Last Friday, I was looking online at the Peter Rabbit collection that I loved so much when I discovered it was being discontinued. My heart was sad; I have wanted this stuff since I saw it in the store when we were at Lights On in Utica Square at Thanksgiving! So we went to dinner with Robert and Anna and then headed to the mall to see if they had the items. Luckily, they did...the bumper, quilt and sheet. So I asked the lady at the counter (who's first name was Anna's maiden name...so how could this go wrong!) if she would hold it for a week until we went to our appointment and saw that everything was okay. She said absolutely and I nearly cried! No one holds stuff for 7 days anymore! So I had the whole week to think about it and after our appointment I was convinced that I wanted it. I told the girl at the counter that I was there to pick up the Peter Rabbit bedding on hold. She said, "oh, you're the Peter Rabbit girl!” Someone was on the waiting list if I didn't come to collect my goods. I still can't believe they held it for me. So, we made our first purchase for the baby today!


This is one of the best days of my life! I can't believe we are going to have a baby. I am still in shock and probably won't really believe it until I start growing a belly! We go back in 4 weeks (4/23) for another appointment and will get to hear the heartbeat with the Doppler (through the belly), but we won't get another ultrasound until July (I'll be about 20 weeks). How can I possibly wait that long to see our little miracle again!

1 comment:

  1. I felt the same way about ultrasounds!! My doctor, at first, would do one every visit.. then he stopped. I was heartbroken, because I didn't get to see my little peanut! (As if feeling him kick and roll around in my tummy wasn't enough.. it wasn't!)

    ReplyDelete