Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Thanksgiving 2011

I want to begin my Thanksgiving post by saying it has been such a blessing to stay home with Jackson and watch him grow like a weed. He is so smart and is doing certain things babies a few months older than him are doing. He learns so fast.  I was a bit nervous I was going to have to go back to work when Chris lost his job in August. I never thought that would happen in a million years so I was floored when he showed up at Julie's house where I was babysitting to tell me the terrible news. I honestly thought he was joking because how could it possibly be true! Over the next weeks we enjoyed having Dada home to play with us but it was also stressful when he was sending out so many resumes and not having many interviews. Luckily Diversified Construction called him in for an interview in September, when I was feeling all hope was lost, and gave him and offer on the spot. Since he would be taking a salary cut, he explained he would have to talk with me about it. Once he got home, they called back to sweeten the deal and he accepted right away. His job is mostly the same but now he has to estimate and bid his own jobs and there is an opportunity for bonuses which is wonderful. I think it's a great incentive for employees to do their best. So far he likes his new job and responsibilities. Needless to say, other than our health, that's the biggest thing we are thankful for this year. We will be able to continue keeping Jackson at home, it just came with a little hiccup in the road. Many thanks to my sweet and hard working husband for allowing me to stay home with our boy. It means to world to me.

Per our usual Thanksgiving plans, we began the day at my Aunt Janice and Uncle David's house. Jackson ate like a pig and do did I. I don't think I've ever had so much to eat in my life and we still had another feast to go to. We had a great time chatting with the family. This would be the last time we saw Susie, Jonathan and Luke for a while since they were all moving to California (Susie and Luke had been there for a while now). We also had a chance to talk with Austin about his upcoming mission trip to Ethiopia over Christmas break.

Around 2, we headed over to Jim & Arlynda's for our second Thanksgiving dinner. I was excited Grandma and Grandpa Bright were there since we don't get to see them much. I had a fun time making Indi laugh. We are so thankful we got to welcome our newest niece into the world in July. She is just about the cutest thing I've ever seen. She has a smile that lights up the whole room. I'm Excited for Jackson to have a cousin play mate so close in age. They will end up being in the same grade which blows my mind! I hope they become fast friends and remain close in the years to come. I love Jim and Grandpa Bright smiling in this video of Indi laughing. So sweet!

After dinner, we headed to Utica Square for our annual gathering at Lights On. This was our 10th time to go. The first time was in 2001 and it was just Chris and I joining Tonya and Anil. Now there's 10 of us!! This was the first time Jackson got to see the lights come on since we had a terrible parking issue last year and were 5 minutes too late.

We also went to visit PB Kids and play with all the toys. We were very disappointed that Clancy the bear was already gone. Maybe we'll catch him next year. Jackson had a fun time playing with the train set with Nana & Papa, playing catch with Papa and also playing with the kitchen set. Might we have a Top Chef in our midst??! After Lights On, we went back to Nana & Papa's to have some pie...yeah, like we needed it. Then it was off to Graham's for bed. What a day!

On Saturday, we drove back to Edmond sans baby to meet Ryan and Toni for the OU game. The weather was miserable and we sure didn't dress warm enough. The game was at 11 and the rain and wind were nearly unbearable. We made the most of it and had a good time, goosebumps and all. After the game, we strolled around a few shops at Campus Corner. That night we went to dinner at Red Rock and had drinks at BJ's. They had to leave early the next morning as they got word Dylan wasn't feeling well. We had a wonderful time and hope to do it again soon. This was the first time we had left AJ overnight and he did great staying with Graham but I was sure happy to hug and kiss on him Sunday evening.

Sunday afternoon, we got all dressed up to attend the Oklahoma Nutcracker in Norman and watch Sandhya dance as a mouse in the first act. She did a wonderful job and we were so proud of her to be part of such a great ballet. Afterward, we met my mom to pick up Jackson and headed to a celebratory dinner at Hideaway for Sandhya. I even found this sweet note in my jacket pocket from Toni. So sweet!!

We sure had quite the eventful Thanksgiving weekend with all the friends and family we love so dearly and are so thankful to share in our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment